Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey Tacos!!
- 2 cups turkey, rough-chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (substitute queso fresco or your favorite taco cheese)
- 1 cup arugula (any lettuce or fresh green works)
- Mexican or taco seasoning (these can be easily had at grocery or specialty shops -- or you could make your own)
- 4 soft taco-sized flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Several generous shakes of your favorite hot sauce (I use Frank's or Louisiana)
- A dash of kosher salt and a few generous twists of black pepper
- The juice of 1/3 lime, fresh squeezed
- Chopped cilantro or green onion (this is optional)
Make sauce: combine ingredients in a bowl and stir well to mix. Set aside.
Prepare carrots and garlic. Toss turkey with seasoning mix. Put a skillet on medium heat and add oil and garlic, lightly sauteeing for 5-7 minutes. Allow garlic to become fragrant but not brown. Reduce heat to low and add turkey, sauteeting just long enough to mix it with the oil and get it warm (2-3 minutes). Depending on the meat's dryness, you may want to add a little more oil. Remove from heat.
Heat tortillas in microwave about 25 seconds. Place on a plate (as pictured) and assemble tacos: spoon a little sauce in each tortilla, sprinkle cheese on each and then add turkey, carrots, more sauce and arugula to top. Enjoy!! Leftovers can be fun after all!!!!